Author: Caroline Forsey ~ Source: What's a Finsta? We Explain This Confusing Instagram Trend
1. Open your Instagram account, and click the three-line icon in the top right.
2. At the bottom of “Settings”, click “Add Account”.
3. At the bottom of the next page, click “Sign Up” to create your new account.
4. Next, input your phone number.
5. Once you input your phone number, a box will pop-up to ask whether you’d like to log into the account you already have. Click “Create New Account” to continue creating your Finsta.
6. Next, add your username. Remember, you don’t want to use your real first and last name here. Instead, consider coming up with a clever username only good friends will understand.
7. Skip the option to link your Finsta to your Facebook account (which could make it easier to link the Finsta to you). Add a profile picture, then click “Next”.
8. Voila! Your Finsta is ready. You can now post pictures and videos, and invite your closest friends to follow you.
To ensure random followers can’t find your Finsta, and to keep it private amongst close friends, you’ll want to create a fake name for your Finsta account.
A website called SpinXO offers a free tool that helps generate potential Finsta names based on your name or nickname, hobbies, interests, or other random words or numbers.
For instance, without inputting any of my own information, SpinXO initially offered these random Finsta names:
Alternatively, you might brainstorm a unique Finsta account name by considering inside jokes you share with your friends, or TV shows or movies only your good friends know you like. You’ll want to avoid using any abbreviation of your first or last name, and try to be as obscure as possible.
For instance, if I were making a Finsta (which, trust me, I’m not), I might call it “Buttercup”, the name of my cat (on second thought … a lot of people have heard me talk about Buttercup. So, scratch that).
Originally published Nov 27, 2018 6:00:00 AM, updated November 27 2018